DayBreak Magazine, your guide to near-future, optimistic SF!
→Every second & fourth Friday: uplifting fiction!
Contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’s why Shine is such a significant — dare I say, historic — anthology.
Overall, Shine is utterly worth reading.
It is to de Vries’ credit that all but the most hard-hearted of sci-fi readers should find their own brand of optimism represented somewhere among Shine’s array of bright futures.
But if we are to have some some influence over how that change unfolds, isn’t it important that our stories, whether they be in the news, on television screens or in the pages of science fiction novels, fully explore the optimistic possibilities that technology represents?
[...] Shine was a truly fascinating and enjoyable read. [...] because this one has genuinely broken down some preconceived ideas I’ve had about the genre.
For an anthology with a very tight remit — optimistic near-future science fiction — there is a huge variety in the stories themselves. It occurs to me that this book is the perfect introduction to SF for readers who wouldn’t normally venture into the genre.
The diversity of the stories and the consistently high quality of this collection is testament to his passion for this project. [...] A shining example of what positive thinking can achieve.
DayBreak Magazine: the stories!
→October 16, 2009: The Very Difficult Diwali of Sub-Inspector Gurushankar Rajaram by Jeff Soesbe (version 2);
NOTE: correct links for the still-to-be-published stories will be added after they've actually been published.
Google Map of DayBreak Story Locations
Excerpts from the SHINE anthology:
January 1, 2010:
→The Earth of Yunhe by Eric Gregory;
→Don't forget to check out Kate Baker's beautidul podcast of The Earth of Yunhe;
→The Greenman Watches the Black Bar Go Up, Up, Up by Jacques Barcia;
January 15, 2010:
→Overhead by Jason Stoddard;
→Summer Ice by Holly Phillips;
January 29, 2010:
→Sustainable Development by Paula R. Stiles;
→The Church of Accelerated Redemption by Gareth L. Powell & Aliette de Bodard;
February 12, 2010:
→The Solnet Ascendancy by Lavie Tidhar;
→Twittering the Stars by Mari Ness;
February 26, 2010:
→Seeds by Silvia Moreno-Garcia;
→At Budokan by Alastair Reynolds;
March 12, 2010:
→Sarging Rasmussen: A Report by Organic by Gord Sellar;
→Scheherazade Cast in Starlight by Jason Andrew;
March 26, 2010:
→Russian Roulette 2020 by Eva Maria Chapman;
→Castoff World by Kay Kenyon;
April 9, 2010:
→Paul Kishosha’s Children by Ken Edgett;
→Ishin by Madeline Ashby;
Google Map of SHINE Story Locations
- 95,561 hits
- Awards Pimpage: DayBreak Stories
- Intimations of Immortality: Are We Ready for Extreme Longevity, Or Do We Even Deserve It?
- SHINE Podcast: "Castoff World"
- DayBreak Fiction: "Dropped Packets", v2
- DayBreak Fiction: "Dropped Packets"
- DayBreak Fiction: "No Dominion"
- DayBreak Fiction: "The Human Factor", v2
- DayBreak Fiction: "The Human Factor"
- SHINE Podcast: "The Solnet Ascendancy"
- The 'Lost' SHINE Interview: Lavie Tidhar
- I just backed Waylines Magazine on @Kickstarter kck.st/VAu2tN 9 years ago
- ==> even if we probably both consider a short story called "The Streets of Ashkelon" the very highlight of his carreer. Of course, YMMV. 9 years ago
- We both loved the early Stainless Steel Rat novels, the first Bill the Galactic Hero ones, along with Make Room! Make Room! ==> 9 years ago
- My father was a huge SF reader & got me into the genre: letting me read the—English—paperbacks he bought when he returned from his travels. 9 years ago
- I have a weakness for a lot of Harry Harrison's fiction (unfortunately, I've never met him), partly to do with my—also deceased—father. 9 years ago
- As a lot of you already probably noticed: Harry Harrison just died: is.gd/mQ6Si9 . Like the late Jon Lord, another hero passed away. 9 years ago
- Also, watch this music video is.gd/dNzIXq then tell me you don't want to see JOLLY live: is.gd/Eb0eOm & is.gd/1rEnBD 9 years ago
- Watch this trailer: ironsky.net then tell me - with a straight face - that you don't want to see the movie. YOU LIE! 9 years ago
- Net als je denkt dat de Volkskrant niet dieper kan zinken, doen ze het. Werken er nog echte redacteuren op de Volkskrant? Q.E.D. sic transit 9 years ago
- Journalistisch hoogstandje: is.gd/n6HDyN "de Conservatieve Partij die massale verkiezing leed tijdens de gemeenteraadsverkiezingen." 9 years ago
- Anyway, the previous tweet to show that I support #SOPAblackout #sopaprotest #sopastrike #SOPABlackoutBrasil and #MoreBeer ! 9 years ago
- Boing Boing still blocked (not missing much...;-). Do like duotrope.com #SOPAblackout you click anywhere to continue: the way to go! 9 years ago
- Now, after giving permission NoScript's installed: Wikipedia works. Like giving a blowjob to the exhaust pipe to get your car started...;-) 9 years ago
- You couldn't make this up if you tried. Now I totally sympathise with #SOPAblackout , just wanted to try noscript.net . 9 years ago
- This is awesome: "So you're MAD about something on the internet..." is.gd/9MhszE And yes. I've been guilty. Learn from your mistakes! 10 years ago
- Is Internet Explorer for the Dumb? A New Study Suggests Exactly That: is.gd/4dK7cp Oy vey! 10 years ago
- @random_jane @al_robertson Congratulations! See you in London next month! @bethanye @eddygrrl Thanks for the pictures! #AHwed 10 years ago
- @dansumption @al_robertson @random_jane Yeah: congratulations from the freezing Netherlands! Wish I was there... 10 years ago
- Must go now: do check out the raving SHINE reviews here: http://is.gd/bvPHR & Kate Baker's "The Earth of Yunhe" podcast: http://is.gd/bvPMv 11 years ago
- Check out BRIDGE TO ELSEWHERE, whose Kickstarter I just supported: kickstarter.com/projects/13305… A fabulous list of gre… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @solarpunklitmag: Latest episode of #SolarpunkFutures is on our site & wherever you get your #podcasts. Cohost @mosshawkarts talks with… 1 week ago
- I just backed Bridge to Elsewhere Short Story Anthology! on @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/13305… 1 week ago
- I just backed Solarpunk Magazine 2022 on @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/andro… 3 weeks ago
- @KLM reageren jullie nog op DMs van klanten waar de vlucht ernstig van vertraagd is? KL 911 is gepland om op 19.28… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- For those who like an accessible non-fiction book about the state of the art with regards to consciousness research… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- For those who like a really challenging novel about the mystery of consciousness, check out my review of @erikphoel… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- 4) On November 1 (if all goes well), my next novel THE REPLICANT IN THE REFUGEE CAMP will go on preorder (link to c… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- 3) I also indie-published my first novel FOREVER CURIOUS in last May: the-future-upbeat.com/blog/2021/5/30… Tip: if you like "I… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- 2) It's just as special to me as "In Perfect Symmetry", published in @sciphijournal's thematic issue of June:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- 1) My story "Planet Preservation & the Art of Zen" has just been published in @fire_underland's Underland Arcana Is… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Happy Birthday Steve Lukather! twitter.com/tje1964/status… 1 month ago
- I've got a story upcoming in The Rabbit Hole Volume Four: Madness, slated for October 29, preorders here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- RT @garethlpowell: This sounds excellent. What a wonderful legacy for an exceptional writer. 1 month ago
- I've been off twitter for a few weeks because the day job is crazily busy. Then, as I've got some time to go back d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Which makes it the fifth 5-star review in a row. Hint: I’ve lowered the price to $5 if you buy directly from me, o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Check it out but beware of the spoilers: twitter.com/UpbeatFuture/s… 1 month ago
- What the man said: twitter.com/UpbeatFuture/s… 1 month ago
- @guardian In case @guardian fixes the typo (advantage of online publishing), here’s the screenshot: https://t.co/aVFOpGrn31 2 months ago
- This is hilarious. The true discrepancy between @Guardian and science fiction captured by this typo: “zeitegist”… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago