DayBreak Magazine, your guide to near-future, optimistic SF!
→Every second & fourth Friday: uplifting fiction!
Contact the editor at email@example.com.
That’s why Shine is such a significant — dare I say, historic — anthology.
Overall, Shine is utterly worth reading.
It is to de Vries’ credit that all but the most hard-hearted of sci-fi readers should find their own brand of optimism represented somewhere among Shine’s array of bright futures.
But if we are to have some some influence over how that change unfolds, isn’t it important that our stories, whether they be in the news, on television screens or in the pages of science fiction novels, fully explore the optimistic possibilities that technology represents?
[...] Shine was a truly fascinating and enjoyable read. [...] because this one has genuinely broken down some preconceived ideas I’ve had about the genre.
For an anthology with a very tight remit — optimistic near-future science fiction — there is a huge variety in the stories themselves. It occurs to me that this book is the perfect introduction to SF for readers who wouldn’t normally venture into the genre.
The diversity of the stories and the consistently high quality of this collection is testament to his passion for this project. [...] A shining example of what positive thinking can achieve.
DayBreak Magazine: the stories!
→October 16, 2009: The Very Difficult Diwali of Sub-Inspector Gurushankar Rajaram by Jeff Soesbe (version 2);
NOTE: correct links for the still-to-be-published stories will be added after they've actually been published.
Google Map of DayBreak Story Locations
Excerpts from the SHINE anthology:
January 1, 2010:
→The Earth of Yunhe by Eric Gregory;
→Don't forget to check out Kate Baker's beautidul podcast of The Earth of Yunhe;
→The Greenman Watches the Black Bar Go Up, Up, Up by Jacques Barcia;
January 15, 2010:
→Overhead by Jason Stoddard;
→Summer Ice by Holly Phillips;
January 29, 2010:
→Sustainable Development by Paula R. Stiles;
→The Church of Accelerated Redemption by Gareth L. Powell & Aliette de Bodard;
February 12, 2010:
→The Solnet Ascendancy by Lavie Tidhar;
→Twittering the Stars by Mari Ness;
February 26, 2010:
→Seeds by Silvia Moreno-Garcia;
→At Budokan by Alastair Reynolds;
March 12, 2010:
→Sarging Rasmussen: A Report by Organic by Gord Sellar;
→Scheherazade Cast in Starlight by Jason Andrew;
March 26, 2010:
→Russian Roulette 2020 by Eva Maria Chapman;
→Castoff World by Kay Kenyon;
April 9, 2010:
→Paul Kishosha’s Children by Ken Edgett;
→Ishin by Madeline Ashby;
Google Map of SHINE Story Locations
- 93,911 hits
- I just backed Waylines Magazine on @Kickstarter kck.st/VAu2tN 7 years ago
- ==> even if we probably both consider a short story called "The Streets of Ashkelon" the very highlight of his carreer. Of course, YMMV. 7 years ago
- We both loved the early Stainless Steel Rat novels, the first Bill the Galactic Hero ones, along with Make Room! Make Room! ==> 7 years ago
- My father was a huge SF reader & got me into the genre: letting me read the—English—paperbacks he bought when he returned from his travels. 7 years ago
- I have a weakness for a lot of Harry Harrison's fiction (unfortunately, I've never met him), partly to do with my—also deceased—father. 7 years ago
- As a lot of you already probably noticed: Harry Harrison just died: is.gd/mQ6Si9 . Like the late Jon Lord, another hero passed away. 7 years ago
- Also, watch this music video is.gd/dNzIXq then tell me you don't want to see JOLLY live: is.gd/Eb0eOm & is.gd/1rEnBD 8 years ago
- Watch this trailer: ironsky.net then tell me - with a straight face - that you don't want to see the movie. YOU LIE! 8 years ago
- Net als je denkt dat de Volkskrant niet dieper kan zinken, doen ze het. Werken er nog echte redacteuren op de Volkskrant? Q.E.D. sic transit 8 years ago
- Journalistisch hoogstandje: is.gd/n6HDyN "de Conservatieve Partij die massale verkiezing leed tijdens de gemeenteraadsverkiezingen." 8 years ago
- Anyway, the previous tweet to show that I support #SOPAblackout #sopaprotest #sopastrike #SOPABlackoutBrasil and #MoreBeer ! 8 years ago
- Boing Boing still blocked (not missing much...;-). Do like duotrope.com #SOPAblackout you click anywhere to continue: the way to go! 8 years ago
- Now, after giving permission NoScript's installed: Wikipedia works. Like giving a blowjob to the exhaust pipe to get your car started...;-) 8 years ago
- You couldn't make this up if you tried. Now I totally sympathise with #SOPAblackout , just wanted to try noscript.net . 8 years ago
- This is awesome: "So you're MAD about something on the internet..." is.gd/9MhszE And yes. I've been guilty. Learn from your mistakes! 8 years ago
- Is Internet Explorer for the Dumb? A New Study Suggests Exactly That: is.gd/4dK7cp Oy vey! 8 years ago
- @random_jane @al_robertson Congratulations! See you in London next month! @bethanye @eddygrrl Thanks for the pictures! #AHwed 9 years ago
- @dansumption @al_robertson @random_jane Yeah: congratulations from the freezing Netherlands! Wish I was there... 9 years ago
- Must go now: do check out the raving SHINE reviews here: http://is.gd/bvPHR & Kate Baker's "The Earth of Yunhe" podcast: http://is.gd/bvPMv 10 years ago
- What has the world come to? I just liked a Romney tweet enough to retweet! twitter.com/MittRomney/sta… 19 hours ago
- RT @RVAT2020: Trump’s Banana Republic https://t.co/b6Of0RmZJG 19 hours ago
- 90% After 4 years. I must be barking mad. (Pours himself a single malt) Slàinthe Mhath (The whistle still blows) 1 day ago
- (Unfortunately, Twitter doesn’t do footnotes.) 2 days ago
- As you write about the flow of your sentence—em dashes are a quick dip, on topic—and you deepen its theme(1), you d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Great article by @bendolnickbooks in The New York Times about em dashes, parentheses and footnotes:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- @aliettedb Ideal author response: to no-one, as I'm unique. Ideal marketing response: to JK Rowling, Stephen King,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Ik vind deze campagne erg belangrijk - doe je ook mee? actie.degoedezaak.org/petitions/sta-… via @de_goede_zaak 5 days ago
- RT @garethlpowell: Unless you read regularly, you can't write. It's that simple. If writing a novel is liek running a marathon, reading boo… 1 week ago
- @aliettedb Archipelago? 1 week ago
- Hey @guardiannews what the Hell are you doing on your website? See image. And no, I’m not giving you access if I do… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Consciousness isn't just the brain: The body shapes your sense of self newscientist.com/article/mg2463… 2 weeks ago
- Ik heb de programmacommissie van de SP een mail gestuurd om ze te vragen de standpunten om eerlijk, groen & samen u… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Roep het kabinet op concrete maatregelen te nemen tegen racisme en discriminatie in Nederland. Kom in actie!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Zojuist geinvesteerd met @Oneplanetcrowd in Zonneweide Groenpolder: oneplanetcrowd.com/nl/project/200… . Laten we via duurzaam… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 weeks ago
- De Saudische autoriteiten profileren zich als hervormers. Maar tegelijkertijd schenden ze de mensenrechten juist me… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 weeks ago
- RT @Baldilocks__: Chris Rock is a genius. This joke will forever be relevant. https://t.co/Atu4FnTbSo 1 month ago
- @jonhenley states in his @guardian article theguardian.com/world/2020/jun… ; In Spain, which has reported Europe’s highest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- RT @VirgilvDijk: Unity is strength #BlackLivesMatter https://t.co/wWCi2iaBBt 1 month ago
- Kom op @NOS leer je journalisten zoiets simpels als tellen. Sinds wanneer geldt: 956 > ‘meer dan duizend’? Schand… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago